The Old Course Ranfurly Golf Club was founded in 1905 "for the continuance of the game over the course previously occupied by Ranfurly Castle Golf Club". This followed the relocation of Ranfurly Castle Golf Club to its current location in that year.

The course was first laid out in 1889 by Willie Campbell of Musselburgh. Willie was a well known golfer who had led the field in the final round of the 1887 Open Championship at Prestwick until he had a disastrous 9 at the 16th which cost him the championship. Willie became the club's first professional until he emigrated to the United States to become the professional at Brookline.
The course originally consisted of 9 holes on the land of Brannochlie, now occupied by the "inside 8" on the current course - the 1st to 3rd and 14th to 18th holes. This land also contains two Scheduled Ancient Monuments. The ruins of Ranfurly Castle, pictured here in the 19th century before the laying out of the golf course, are in the copse of trees on the left side of the 17th fairway. It was formerly the residence of the Knoxes and was probably built in the 15th century. The Castle Motte is a mound near the 16th green which some authorities believe may have an outpost of a Roman camp at Paisley although it is more likely to be a mediaeval fortification from the 9th or 10th century A.D..
In 1894 Willie Park Jnr who had won the 1887 Open Championship mentioned above was commissioned to inspect and report on the suitability of lands at Shillingworth, Whinnerstone and Auchensale for an additional 9 holes. Land at Shillingworth (now occupied by the 4th to 7th holes) and Whinnerstone (on the far side of the burn at the 5th hole) was leased and the course was extended to 18 holes.
Following the relocation of the Ranfurly Castle Golf Club in 1905 and the founding of the Old Course Ranfurly Golf Club Ben Sayers Jnr became the new club's first professional. The opening of the new club was celebrated by an exhibition match between Andrew Kirkaldy (runner up in the 1889 Open Championship), Sandy Herd (winner of the Open Championship in 1902), Willie Fernie (winner of the Open Championship in 1883 and runner up in 1882, 1884, 1890 and 1891) and J H Taylor, five time winner of the Open Championship (in 1894, 1895, 1900, 1909 and 1913).They are pictured above in the centre of the group at the exhibition match. The picture at the top of the page is of Willie Fernie addressing a putt watched by Sandy Herd and the third picture shows reigning Open Champion J H Taylor putting on the last green.

In the early 1920s James Braid visited the course and made recommendations following which the club proceeded with the "Braid Scheme". The details of this are lost in the mists of time, other than that it apparently involved at least the 15th and 16th holes.

In 1926 the land at Brannochlie and Shillingworth which had previously been leased was purchased and the and the club became master of its own destiny. A longer course was desired though and in 1934 further land at Shillingworth (the land now occupied by the 8th and 9th holes) was purchased and and the lease on the Whinnerstone land was terminated. Further alterations to the course were made and by June 1935 the layout of the course was much as it is today, albeit many trees have been added since then.
Calendar
Loading the Calendar...
News
  • WINTER TRY AND BUY
    newsthumbnail
    24.10.2016
Course Status
Currently closed
21.11.2017 12:15
Weather
  • 2017-11-22
  • 2017-11-23
  • 2017-11-24
  • 2017-11-25
  • 2017-11-26
Need to know more weather details? Click here to see the weather for the next 5 days.